- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Boil eggs – remove shells and cut into half lengthways.
- Fry bacon – heat butter in a heavy-based frying pan and add mushrooms – fry until mushrooms just turn colour – remove from heat.
- Heat oil in another heavy-based frying pan and add onions – sauté onions until translucent.
- Mix the onions with bacon and mushrooms.
- Cut the bread slices into 3 fingers each – arrange a layer of half of the bread on the base of a greased ovenproof dish.
- Arrange the eggs, bacon, mushroom and onions over the bread (use a slotted spoon to remove excess water).
- Arrange another layer of bread over the mixed layer.
- Beat the extra eggs, milk and seasoning together and pour over the bread and bacon layers.
- Allow to stand for at least 30 minutes.
- Place dish in an oven roasting pan and fill pan with water to cover the dish 2/3 up the sides.
- Bake in oven for 30 -35 minutes or until almost set.
- Sprinkle the cheese and pepper over and bake for a further 8 – 10 minutes or until completely set and cheese is lightly browned on top.
- Cut into portions and serve immediately, sprinkled with fresh herbs.
For the best hard-boiled eggs: Place eggs first in a pot then add water to cover eggs – as soon as water boils – time it for 3 minutes – rinse eggs in cold water.
You can replace the bacon with smoked salmon or trout ribbons.
You can replace the bacon and mushrooms with fried leeks and cooked chicken breast fillets – cut into strips.