45 min cooking time
35 min preparation time
Serves 4 – 6
6 hard-boiled eggs
8 slices white bread
250 g rindless back bacon, chopped
500 g black mushrooms, quartered
25 ml (25 g) Clover Mooi River Salted Choice Butter
2 onions, sliced
125 ml Olive Pride Extra Virgin Olive Oil
5 extra eggs
2 ml salt
750 ml Clover Full Cream Fresh Milk
180 ml (72 g) Clover Mature Cheddar, grated
freshly ground salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Boil eggs, remove shells and cut into half lengthways.
- Fry the bacon. Heat butter in a heavy-based frying pan and add mushrooms. Fry until mushrooms just turn colour. Remove from heat.
- Heat oil in another heavy based frying pan and add onions. Sauté onions until translucent.
- Cut the bread slices into 3 fingers each. Arrange a layer of half of the bread on the base of a greased ovenproof dish.
- Arrange the eggs, bacon, mushroom and onions over the bread. Arrange another layer of bread over the mixed layer.
- Beat the extra eggs, milk and seasoning together and pour over the bread and bacon layers. Allow to stand for at least 30 minutes.
- Place dish in an oven roasting pan and fill pan with water to cover the dish ⅔ up the sides. Bake in oven for 30 – 35 minutes or until almost set.
- Sprinkle the cheese and pepper over and bake for a further 8 – 10 minutes or until completely set and cheese is lightly browned on top. Cut into portions and serve immediately, sprinkled with fresh herbs.
- Replace the bacon with smoked salmon or trout ribbons.
- Replace bacon and mushrooms with fried leeks and cooked chicken breast fillets, cut into strips.
- For extra taste, cut 100 g Halloumi or Clover Tussers into strips and arrange over the top before baking.