20 min cooking time
10 min preparation time
Serves 8 – 12
1 x 410 g tin whole peeled tomatoes
1 x 410 g tin tomato and onion mix
250 ml water
30 ml Clover Mooi River Butter
5 ml crushed or chopped garlic (1 clove) Or
2 ml garlic and herb seasoning
1 medium leek, washed and sliced
1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
750 ml additional water
10 ml chicken stock powder
10 ml mixed dried herbs Or
30 ml chopped fresh herbs (origanum, marjoram, thyme)
10 ml sugar
30 ml cake flour
250 ml Clover Fresh Cream
2 ml salt
Good pinch white pepper
12 thin slices French toast or hotdog rolls
± 125 ml finely grated Clover Cheddar Cheese
Chopped spring onion
- Liquidise the two tins of tomato with the 250 ml water until quite smooth and strain through a coarse sieve, rubbing with a spoon to retain the tomato pips.
- Place the butter, garlic, leek and celery into a saucepan and sauté very gently, stirring for two minutes, without browning. Add the strained tomato, additional water, stock powder, herbs and sugar and bring to boil. Simmer gently for 10 minutes.
- Mix together the flour and cream in a small bowl. Stir a little of the hot soup into the mixture, stir well and return to the soup. Add the salt and pepper and cook over moderate heat for about 5 minutes to thicken the soup. Do not allow to boil rapidly – the soup may curdle. For a smooth soup, blend a few seconds with a hand-held blender.
- Press the cheese onto the thin bread slices, sprinkle with paprika and place onto a baking tray. Just before serving, grill the toast until nicely browned.
- Adjust the seasoning, ladle the soup into warmed bowls and float a cheese toast on top. Garnish with chopped spring onion.
Tomato Vegetable Soup
Add ± 250 – 500 ml vegetables such as very finely diced carrots, mixed peppers, baby marrows or patty pans and sliced celery, sautéed in a little butter until just tender.
Tomato Noodle Soup
Add ± 250 ml noodles or fine pasta shapes, boiled until just tender and drained, to the soup with or instead of the vegetables.
Seafood Tomato Soup
Add 200 – 400 g blanched peeled prawns or marinara mix for a delicious seafood soup.