Makes 1 cake
500 ml (2 cups) cake flour
187 ml (¾ cup) cocoa
15 ml (1 tbsp) baking powder
5 ml (1 tsp) baking soda
pinch of salt
4 large eggs
375 ml (1½ cups) caster sugar
5 ml (1 tsp) vanilla essence
250 ml (1 cup) CLOVER Cream O’Naise
125 ml (½ cup) water
125 ml (½ cup) CLOVER full cream milk
extra Clover Mooi River butter for greasing
125 g (¼ block) CLOVER Mooi River butter
80 ml (1/3 cup) cocoa
500 ml (2 cups) icing sugar
60 ml (¼ cup) CLOVER full cream milk
2,5 ml (½ tsp) vanilla essence
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C.
- Sift the cake flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt together.
- Set aside.
- Use an electric mixer and beat the eggs and the castor sugar together for 5 minutes until light yellow in colour.
- Stir in the vanilla essence.
- Mix the Cream O’Naise, water and milk until smooth.
- Stir the Cream O’Naise mixture and the sifted flour mixture bit by bit into the egg mixture until you have a smooth batter.
- Grease two round cake tins with a diameter of 20 cm well with butter and line the cake tins with baking paper.
- Divide the batter equally between the two cake tins.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until the first testing skewer emerges clean.
- Let the cakes cool down in the cake tins and then turn them out onto a cooling rack to cool down completely.
- Use an electric mixer and beat the butter until creamy and light yellow.
- Sift the icing sugar and the cocoa together.Add the icing sugar mixture to the creamed butter little by little while you continue beating the mixture.
- Add the vanilla essence and milk, and then the remaining icing sugar.
- Beat for another 3 minutes until creamy.
- Spread one cake layer with icing, place the next cake layer on top and spread the remaining icing on the outside of the cake.
- Decorate the cake as you please.