10 min cooking time
30 min preparation time
250 ml (150 g) wholewheat flour
250 ml (140 g) cake flour
15 ml baking powder
2 ml salt
1 ml cayenne pepper
2 ml freshly ground black pepper
15 ml dried mixed herbs or 20 ml fresh mixed herbs, chopped
45 ml chopped onion
250 ml (100 g) Clover Cheddar, grated
125 ml Clover 2% Low Fat Fresh Milk
125 ml sunflower oil
- Clover Farmstyle Butter – Salted
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Sift all the dry ingredients except the herbs together. Add wheat left in sieve to mixture.
- Add the herbs, onion and cheese.
- Beat the eggs, milk and oil and gradually add to the dry ingredients until fl our is moist. Do not overmix. Batter must still be lumpy.
- Spoon batter into a greased muffin pan and bake for 20 – 25 minutes.
- Serve warm with butter. (Makes 8-10 muffins, depending on si\e)
- Spoon a little batter into each hole of muffin pan.
- Place a medium-sized Rosa tomato on top of batter and spoon remaining batter on top.
- Bake according to instructions.
- Replace the onion with fried bacon pieces for a bacon and cheese variation.
- Replace herbs with 20 ml freshly chopped chives.
- Add 70 ml powdered biltong for a biltong and cheese variation.